Sunday, November 26, 2023

Some Sweet Things

Hello everyone!

D, here again.

You may have noticed how much I enjoy baking.

During the last summer holidays, I fancied baking – something Mum and Dad will never object to – and made some fudge. I used a recipe from Jane’s Patisserie cookbook, which was easy to follow. It reminds me of Millionaire shortbread and was very yummy. However, you can only eat a small piece at a time because it is so sweet.

Making fudge also solved a conundrum for me, as it was my brother’s birthday around the same time, and I had wondered what to get him.

I made him another batch of this delicious ‘Millionaire Fudge’, which he enjoyed immensely. 


I think I’ll be making another batch of fudge again soon!

D x

*********************

Now, back to Beverley.


In many ways, it has been a week where I haven't done much at all, so I don't have much to share with you. The reality is that I have been doing a lot more clearing out and planning to rearrange most of the furniture downstairs to make the spaces work better for us as a family. It is a slow process, shuffling things around but coming together slowly. Next year, there will be some decorating to do as well, which I know my hubby is really (not) looking forward to :-)

Yesterday was bright and cold but a good day to potter in the garden. I have spent little time in the back garden lately but decided to wander down to the pond and woodland/wildlife garden. I will do a small amount of tidying here as I prefer to give some shelter to the bugs and insects that call our garden home. 


We have added some fresh leaves and twigs to the bug village at the very end of the garden. There is also a roof ridge tile hotel stuffed with twigs, leaves, and bits and pieces, and I hope it will prove to be a cosy resting place for its inhabitants.




This single chrysanthemum was putting on a last show for me in my greenhouse. This plant has been an absolute joy to me as it was one stem in many mixed flowers that decided to grow roots and keep growing. I hope it grows again next year.


This afternoon, hubby and I went to a craft fair in Stourbridge; seeing all the artisans and craftspeople and their work was lovely. I succumbed to a couple of Christmas items, but there were many lovely things to see. 

Our son C and his fiancée live only 5 minutes from the craft fair, so we stopped to see them and their latest fostered kitten, Toby. He was in such a bad state when they took him in last week. He seemed badly neglected and much too young to have left his mother. He had to be seen by a vet who could treat all his ailments—poor little thing. 


It makes me so cross to think someone had taken on this tiny life and then abandoned it after only a few weeks to a cat sanctuary, who then had to pay all the vet bills to give him a fighting chance. A week on, and he is now a bundle of fluffy mischief. He will be happy in his foster home with the other kittens, but I hope He finds his forever home soon.



D and I are starting to think about Christmas preparations now and may post more frequently through December. We both hope you have a great week wherever you are and whatever your plans are. 


Take care xx 





18 comments:

  1. D, your fudge looks delicious. I might just try and make some myself :)
    Beverley, the kitten looks adorable. Your son and partner do a wonderful job in caring for these kittens. It must be a wrench when they leave for their forever homes.
    I'm looking forward to reading about your Christmas preparations. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are already deciding what baking delights we would like for Christmas :-)
      It is hard to let go of the kittens but better for them to have a forever home. Little Toby is looking so much better this week and I'm sure he wouldn't be here now without the caring support he has received. He is a little scamp though!

      Delete
  2. Toby is so pretty. How can people be so heartless?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now he is feeling better, Toby is being a sweet little rascal with the other fostered and adopted kittens. He is such a joy to see.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous kitten. Some people can be so thoughtless about innocent creatures. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is sweet but quite mischievous just like a young kitten should be. I hope it isn't too long before he has a forever home.

      Delete
  4. I'm loving the Bug Village...Makes sense though.
    Such a sweet kitty! Praying it finds a wonderful home, soon!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toby the kitten says "Thank you Donna. I feel much better and I have some other furry friends to play with for now" x
      The bug village is in a very sheltered spot in the garden so hopefully it will give some protection over the Winter x

      Delete
  5. Dear D., what a great treat. Thanks. And now I'm actually stuck with Jane's recipes. I love baking.
    I'm looking forward to your further baking skills... with the beginning of Advent it's simply wonderful to stir the bowls and serve something nice.
    Dear Beverly, our garden looks similar, we left bushes and corners for the creepy crawlies to overwinter. We had snow so early this year that we managed to get the garden ready just in time.
    Happy week to you... the Advent preparations are now underway...
    Anticipation, the most beautiful joy.
    Sweet cat.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Viola, thank you for the lovely comment. I really like Jane's recipes as they are easy to follow and I can make changes to them if I want to. D x
    I saw your snow pictures Viola. The trees were very pretty with snowy branches.
    Toby the kitten sends best wishes to you.
    Have a good week.
    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. Bug villages, tasty fudge and a sweet little kitten. I hope Toby finds his forwever home soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. We always look forward to D's baking :-)
      Toby is doing really well now and enjoying being with the other fostered kittens. Hopefully he will find someone who wants to adopt him soon. Have a good week x

      Delete
  8. That fudge looks so good I think I'l have to make some, yummy! Thank you D..

    Great, your son and fiancé fostering, the animal world needs more people like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. The fudge was really easy to make and I love Jane's recipes because there is so much to choose! D x
      At the moment my son and fiancée have 5 furry kittens/young cats. Two of them, Lola and Nala, they have adopted themselves. It is a very happy family :-)
      B x

      Delete
  9. Your bug village looks very welcoming for small critters. Good for the cold days. I'd love a little kitten but it is a big responsibility and our old lady cat Lupin would not appreciate having a kitten very much. Happy baking, when you have time. I'd happily eat a piece of your fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the critters like their Winter warm space. It has gone colder with a touch of frost but no snow as yet. I can understand Lupin wouldn't be too thrilled with a mischievous kitten disturbing her home. Toby is very sweet though isn't he. D and I will try and do some baking over the weekend. Keep you updated.

      Delete
  10. That fudge looks delicious and such a good idea for a gift. It's always good to leave an area in the garden for wildlife. We've had our first snow fall overnight, not much, just a sprinkling, but the bugs and critters will be glad of somewhere to hide out now. Awww, the kitten is so cute. It beggars belief how people can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow here, Jo. It has been very cold and we have had frost. Hopefully the bugs will be snug in their Winter home.
      Amazing how much better and full of kitten energy Toby is after only a short time in a caring home. It made me so upset to know how his life had started.
      D's fudge is always good but never lasts very long :-)
      Have a lovely day x

      Delete