Sunday, November 5, 2023

A Few Days In and Around York

Hello and welcome back to our small corner.

As it has been half term this week, we decided to go away to York for a few days.


After a lovely breakfast on Monday morning, we headed into York City Centre, where we visited Jorvik Viking Centre and Barley Hall, which we had pre-booked due to their popularity. 


We didn't know what to expect at the Viking exhibit but had heard good reviews about the place. The first part of the tour involved walking over a heavy-duty, glass-raised floor that revealed part of the original streets and paving found in the excavations. It was amazing to get up close to this Viking history, but I wouldn't say I liked walking on the transparent platforms. However, my hubby and D seemed to be okay. 


The central hub of the experience was a ride through a reconstruction of the town based on artefacts found on or near the site to give an authentic experience of what life could have been like in those times. It even felt more real by the ingenious use of animatronic figures that are so detailed and expressive that you might think they were real people! 

 

 








In the afternoon, we also visited Barley Hall, a reconstructed townhouse from the Middle Ages, which had been the residence of the Mayor of York. The site has had many uses and was used most recently as a plumbers' store. In the mid-1980s, the building was painstakingly returned to its former glory by the York Archaeological Trust—they reconstructed and decorated the building using the techniques used in the original construction. It demonstrates the skills and talents of 13th-century craft people.


There was also a Shakespearean exhibition with costumes worn by modern actors who have taken part in his plays on display.

 


 


There was then just enough time for a little retail therapy in the many lovely shops of the city. While there, we stumbled upon a very lovely Christmas shop, which had beautiful handcrafted decorations. It was hard not to buy lots of beautiful baubles and decorations while we were there.

 

 

On Tuesday, we visited Beningborough Hall, wBarley Hallith its impressive long driveway and walled gardens. However, we all felt that the ceilings were far too high in the house for the size of the rooms, which made them seem quite small. However, we enjoyed the gardens and yet another display of pumpkins.

 


Before the end of the day, there was still time for a little more shopping, where we found a jigsaw puzzle shop with the largest puzzle we have ever seen for sale. It was a Disney Ravensburger puzzle with over 40,000 pieces and measured 6.8m x 1.9m. That would not fit any of the walls in our house, let alone find floor space to put it together!

 

By Wednesday, it was time for us to start our journey home, but on the way, we found one more lovely place to visit: Brodsworth Hall, which is close to Doncaster. To start, we walked around some of the formal grounds, which the gardeners were laying out for next year's spring bedding. The topiary was impressive, and each garden section felt like an individual garden room. D thought the gardens were tranquil. B was very jealous that she couldn't see any weeds anyway.


The weather was also kind while we were outside.


Once inside, we were greeted by enthusiastic guides in every room, eager to tell us more about the house, the family and others who lived there. The original Georgian House was a short distance away, and when the new owner took over in 1861, he felt it was too big and decided to knock it down and rebuild it. Amazingly, the new house was built in 18 months by a young architect called Philip Wilkinson, and they reused many of the materials from the old building in the new construction.

 

When the English Heritage took over Brodsworth Hall, they decided to conserve rather than restore the House and everything in it. It was a wonderful time capsule of days gone by, and we could all feel that it had been a family home.



 

And then, on Friday, D and I went to the Creative Craft Show, Simply Christmas Show, and Cake and Bake International Shows at the NEC Birmingham—a very dangerous place for two baking and crafting girls to be. But we had a lot of fun and bought... a few things!! We will tell you more next week.


Have a good week, and stay safe, whatever your plans are.


B and D xx

27 comments:

  1. I absolutely love York - haw splendid to have a couple of days there.
    I was at the SImply Christmas (etc) show on Saturday. It was really very good, wasn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy our time in York last week and the weather was generally kind for us. The show was very good and D and I could have spent a lot more than we did. We are already adding a few things we want to get next year already.

      Delete
  2. The organisers of tourist attractions really make a marvellous effort to entertain and educate, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely few days. It is years since I visited York, but I remember how fascinating T found it. The Craft show would have been just up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely city with so many wonderful things to see and do. I'm sure we will go back there again .
      The craft show was great. It has been a long time since I last went and it was fun to go with my daughter.

      Delete
  4. Wow brilliant trip, so many interesting things to see and do, I do love York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to experience such history!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. York is a wonderful city to visit and a big part of English history. We all enjoyed the visit very much.

      Delete
  6. Your trip sounds wonderful. York is such an interesting and beautiful city. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jules. York is wonderful. We have only been a couple of times in recent years but it is a place we will be going back to as often as time allows.
      Hope you are ok. Missing you on your blog. Take care x

      Delete
  7. Wow, sounds like this was a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good thing that I opened the PC...
    It's wonderful following your little trip to York. Thanks for the photos and especially the links... I clicked on all of them :-))) and yes, I have to travel to your beautiful country, at least I've been to Ireland before (14 days in Kerry)... it was wonderful.
    I'm really looking forward to watching your travels... I wish you a wonderful November... autumn leaves are late this year for us. Now the trees are in their most beautiful splendor and fortunately we have lots of sunshine.
    A hug for you from me.
    thanks Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are back Viola.
      I love to explore new places and also return to those I have grown to love like York. Maybe one day you can see some of them yourself. I love hearing about the places you visit too.
      Have a wonderful November with some Autumn sunshine x

      Delete
  9. Absolutely super and what a fun time you had in York. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's like stepping into your photos. I can't remember if I mentioned it but our son years ago when he was still in high school, went to England on a school trip and his favorite place was York. Happy week to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely few days away in York. Glad to hear that your son has fond memories of his visit to York.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a wonderful week. Haven’t been to Jorvik in a very long time. Loved seeing it once again. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was our first time visiting Jorvik and we were so impressed.

      Delete
  11. Oh! So many lovely things in this post! I would love to visit York one day - it sounds like a wonderful place to experience. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is so much to see in York. I think you would love all the small shops along the Shambles as well. Hope you get to visit some day.

      Delete
  12. Looks like a wonderful trip. I love all the history. How lucky you had nice weather so you could enjoy being outside without being cold or wet. I want to go to the Christmas shop. When I toured the UK a few months back, buying Christmas ornaments was my favorite souvenir. I don't think I would like walking on the glass thing either, things like that tend to make me sorta dizzy; but I would love all the history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the Christmas ornaments in that shop. There were traditional and sparkly and unusual ones. Something for everyone.
      The glass floor just gave me such a weird feeling to walk on but it did mean I was almost walking on history.

      Delete
  13. Oh, how wonderful. When I was growing up near Chesterfield we went every year on the train to York usually just before Christmas, it was always magical. Barley Hall and Jorvick I haven't seen for ages or Brodsworth Hall, I remember the garden there. So glad you had a lovely half term break:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. All three places you mentioned were new to us and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Glad it bought back good memories for you

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic trip. I love the Viking centre but the last time was several years ago and I can see from your photos that it has changed so much. Thank you for sharing them :)
    I would have loved to go to the show at the NEC but getting there is a problem these days. I'm excited to see what you and D bought though! It would have been a great temptation to me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think revisiting some of these places is always good as the exhibitions are updated and new things added all the time aren't they.
      It was hard to resist all the lovely things we saw at the NEC show but we were very happy with our purchases. Tell you more later x

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful visit you had and then to go to a bake and craft show, fantastic. My sort of weekend away When Mike and I visited York it was nearing Christmas and we went to Evensong at the Cathedral, it was so lovely it took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evensong at York cathedral must have been very special especially near to Christmas. Maybe it is something for hubby and I to do one Christmas.
      D and I has such a fun time at the show last week. Lots of new crafting ideas !
      Have a good week x

      Delete