Sunday, November 12, 2023

Remembrance Sunday 2023

 







Thank you to all who have given their lives in conflicts here and far away for the freedoms we enjoy today. 

Our thoughts are of you and your loved ones today as we remember. 


********************************************************

Both D and I wanted to start today with the poppies as a reminder of all the good things we can enjoy because of the selfless sacrifices of others. 


One of the activities that D and I enjoyed together last weekend was the Baking and Christmas Craft show at the NEC Birmingham.



























We spent all morning in the cake and baking parts of the shows, which were incredible. The detail on the cake decorating was unbelievable, and although we do enjoy dabbling in cake making, these cakes were art masterpieces. 

Whatever your thoughts are on royalty, this full-size decorated cake model of King Charles was jaw-dropping. 

We also enjoyed watching one of our favourite bakers, Jane Dunn, giving a demonstration of her Caramel Ginger cake. We were very inspired.

We bought a small kitchen chopper, which works by pulling on a cord to turn the blades around a central pivot quickly. I have already found out how sharp those blades are... ouch!!


After lunch, we made our way around all the fantastic Christmas stores full of gift ideas for the coming season. There was so much to see, and keeping those purse strings shut was difficult. However, while there, we picked up a few gifts for my son and his fiancée. 


D bought some jewellery-making kits to try her hand at in the coming months, and some lovely paints sorely tempted her. Maybe next year, she said!


I bought some bits and pieces for card making, especially for making cards for men, which is always tricky. I also purchased a lovely pattern for making a bag, which may stretch my sewing skills, but it will be fantastic if I can manage it. 


We both came away happy and with many ideas and inspiration to see us through until the next show.

Looking at the weather, it seems like this is a 'staying-in' week, so a few new projects may get started. Whatever your own plans are for the week ahead, D and I hope you enjoy them.

x


18 comments:

  1. Those cakes are astonishing. Such skill and patience and ingenuity and I can't think how many hours they take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many incredible cakes to see at the show and although they were all being judged, as far as we were concerned, they were all winners. Amazing talent being showcased.

      Delete
  2. What a very special tribute to this very important day, and lovely sentiments too. Also, I was so impressed with the artistry at the Baking and Christmas Craft show. Yesterday I actually saw a King Charles Christmas ornament identical to this amazing statue. I have bought several British-themed ornaments over the years. I will soon be getting them out again. Thank you for such a lovely post and I hope your weather will improve. We are being promised a very harsh winter, or so I read. Something to do with the El Niño effect. I hope they are wrong! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. Remembrance Sunday is a special day and the poppies on the post boxes were another reminder of the freedoms we now enjoy because of the sacrifices of others.
      It will be good to get the Christmas ornaments out again in a few weeks won't it.
      It looks like it could be quite wet here this week but I am hoping for a few dry hours so that I can get outside in the garden- still lots to do out there. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Looking at those photos, I wish I had had the time to take a look. Those cakes look absolutely amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were just so many incredible cakes to see at the show. We only took a few photos of the many designs and styles of cake decorating. A lot of hours of dedicated work in those cakes.
      Hopefully you can see some next time you visit the show . Have a good week x

      Delete
  4. The cakes look amazing! I wonder how long it takes to create something so detailed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must take many many hours and lots of patience to both plan and make those amazing cakes. They were all stunning.

      Delete
  5. The poppies are very special aren't they? You day out looks wonderful and the cakes amazing, such skill. As a cat lover I have to choose the cat with it's scratching post as a favourite:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough the cat cake was one of D's favourites and she sent a picture of it to my son who has 5 fostered kittens at the moment. He loved it.
      The poppies were on the two post boxes nearest to where we live and were a very special dedication to all those who have given everything for our freedoms. I hope the poppies stay for a few more weeks as a continued reminder.

      Delete
  6. Goodness...love the wiener dog one and King Charles!! Wow!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all amazing works of cake art and it was hard to pick a favourite really. King Charles cake really did make my jaw drop though. Hope all is well with you and the family x

      Delete
  7. I had thought of going to the NEC this time but was disappointed when I went in March, those cakes are amazing though, such a lot of detailed work! Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what made the shows even more special was being able to have a fun day with D. I think we were away for the March show so am glad we went for this one instead. Lots of wow factor with the cakes.

      Delete
  8. Those post box toppers are lovely, we usually have similar here and those cakes wow so much detail such amazing talent. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post box toppers are always good and it is fun to see what appears next.
      The cakes were amazing and I'm sure it must have been a hard job for the judges because they were all incredible. Have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  9. So these cakes... I wanted to be there... a poem... thank you very much for introducing them.
    I love baking and especially I love enjoying small pieces of cake :-))) Wonderful.
    I'm looking forward to the bag you're going to sew... you can definitely imagine that I'm very interested. I have completed another small one - shoulder bag - I will definitely show it in the next post.
    A hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cakes were all really amazing, you would have loved it, Viola.
      I will let you know when I make the bag. Probably after Christmas to be fair. Your bags are always lovely x

      Delete