Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Christmas 6

 

Good morning everyone. Well, that last 24 hours went quickly! 


Today, the much-loved robin is taking centre stage.


The robin is one of our native British birds and is often seen in gardens, especially if a gardener has been working and turning over soil to reveal tasty worms and other bug treats. They are friendly little birds but are fiercely territorial regarding their nesting and feeding sites.


According to the Woodland Trust, robins appear so often on Christmas cards due to postmen in the Victorian period who wore red jackets and, therefore, had the nickname 'robins'. 


Truth or legend, it is a nice thought. 


Here is my little robin, again based on another of Jean Greenhowe's patterns.


I used different yarn from my stash, which makes him look like a rather well-fed little bird, but he makes me smile. 













Happy Wednesday to you all.

See you tomorrow x

14 comments:

  1. That's a cheery little robin sitting on his snowy log.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look rather happy sat on his log doesn't he :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh how sweet... it puts a happy smile on my face... your robin.
    I fed my birds in the garden... they are all there... the tits, sparrows, redstarts, the blackbirds that always defend their territory... and there are also woodpeckers and jays coming out of the forest...
    Many greetings to you both, I wish you a nice St. Nicholas Day. Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy St Nicholas day to you too, Viola.
      My little robin does look happy and well fed. Just refilling my feeders and melting ice for the real birds outside like you x

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet little Robin. We saw quite a few on our walk this morning, all fluffed up against the cold:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely to see them out and about foraging in the Winter daylight. Hope you had a good walk. Thank you for your kind comment about my rather chunky robin.

      Delete
  4. What a cute little robin decoration! It does make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. You have some lovely bird ornaments too.

      Delete
  5. Your Robin is very cute, I love how they appear while you work in the garden, I had one perch on my spade once just inches away from me, ready to feast on the worms I was unearthing as I prepared my soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are very friendly little birds when working in the garden. A lovely easy meal for them when turning the soil over :-) My tubby little robin has obviously had more than his fair share of worms for breakfast.

      Delete
  6. So cute. I am watching a Robin bobbing here and there in and out of the Gorse in the field opposite. His bright red breast is such a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are such a cheery sight right now aren't they and I love to see them when I'm working outside. For the moment I'll enjoy watching them from inside though.

      Delete
  7. I do like to see a plump Robin! (Unless he is with Batman!)

    ReplyDelete