Sunday, June 16, 2024

Mayfield House - The Butler's Office

Welcome back to our small corner, and this week, we shall return to our tour of Mayfield House.

Last time, we explored the Lower Hallway, where servants and tradesmen entered from outside, delivering goods and seeing to other tasks around the servants' areas. If you'd like to revisit that part of our tour, follow this link: Back2OurSmallCorner: Mayfield House - The Lower Hallway.

We stand at the main tradesman's door in the Lower Hallway. As we turn to the door on our left, we find ourselves at the entrance of the Butler Office. 

Now, let us knock on his door and wait to be invited inside.

Mr Albert Jenkins is the butler here at Mayfield House. He has served the family for many years, rising through various roles to reach this prestigious job.

This room serves as his office and a space to relax and unwind in those rare moments when all is well with the house.









A bedroom door and a small cellarage can also be seen at the back of this room. Mr Jenkins prides himself on providing the very best wines and spirits for the family.


He is mildly irritated today as the phone on the wall has been ringing constantly: it is not his favourite piece of modern technology. Last time, the phone made him nearly jump out of his skin and spill tea down his jacket, and that will need to be changed before he leaves the office. What a nuisance!


The cat, Sylvester, also demands some attention, making that cosy armchair in the corner a tempting retreat for Mr Jenkins. However, there is still a mountain of paperwork to complete before the end of the day, and the remains of his cup of tea are now cold. 

The other job he oversees is directing Jones in the butler's scullery to clean the family silver.
 
After Mr Jenkins deals with that phone call we will follow him through to the next room. 

*******************************************************

Putting the room together

Like the previous room, I made another false wall to give the illusion of more rooms and spaces beyond the main room. In this instance, one door leads to Mr Jenkins's sleeping quarters while the other shows a part of the cellarage. Over time, some of the bottles have become dusty as the wine matures to the butler's satisfaction.  

I added a small fireplace with some details above the mantelpiece between these two rooms.


The two purple armchairs are very old furniture pieces that I inherited from my nan, and I'm glad to have been able to use them here.


On the wall, there is a small shelf unit with various personal items that the butler owns.


The phone on the wall was a version 2. The first one didn't seem right, and I know it would have irritated me forever afterwards if we had kept it.

As the butler would have been responsible for looking after the house silver, I have alluded to this with the cabinet on the left of the room. I used a few silver beads for this purpose.



Although the desk is messy, I had to add the essential tea cup. I created the letter rack using scraps of wood and card and the receipt spike from a paper clip, bead, and more cards. The ink pot is made of a few black beads.

Initially, Mr Jenkins wore a grey, somewhat oversized jacket, so I made a new one for him. I shall not be doing that again in a hurry - stitching in black on a tiny item of clothing and making up the pattern as I went along. Unfortunately, I didn't notice some of the glue on the front of his jacket which is why it became spilt tea in the tour narrative. To make the room scene more realistic, I positioned the butler doll rising from his chair to answer the phone again!

When we visit Mayfield House next time, we will check on Jones in the scullery adjoining the butler's office.

I'm still hoping for more sun than rain this week, but however, it turns out D and I wish you all a lovely week.

18 comments:

  1. Your attention to detail is amazing . Good play with the spilt tea.
    Did your nan also dress doll houses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The spilt tea idea was a last minute thing as I didn't notice the glue until after I had taken the photo. Sometimes mistakes work to our advantage :-)
      As far as I know my nan never dressed dolls houses but those items have been passed down through the generations. She may have had them as part of a dolls house when she was small which would have been around the turn of the century. I have a few other items that will appear in later rooms.

      Delete
  2. It's just remarkable what you have achieved here, Beverley. The detail is amazing.
    I do hope that Jones is getting on with cleaning the silver. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. It's fun making up the story for the characters and rooms. I'm sure the silver cleaning is on Jones's ' to do ' list!!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic. The false walls are a brilliant idea, giving the idea of more space within and I love how you're bringing the house to life with the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the stories, Jo. The false walls add a little more intrigue to the story. Everyone wants to know what lies behind a hidden door. It also means I don't have to furnish another room instead I can make my audience imagine it . There will plenty more false walls and doors to come in other spaces. I look forward to sharing them with you x

      Delete
  4. Oh WOW!
    Your attention to detail is AMAZING!

    You must be so pleased with how life at Mayfield House is progressing.
    I did enjoy the story you tell too.

    Thank you for bringing a big smile to my Sunday evening.
    May the week ahead be a good one for you, with some nice sunny days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I'm so glad you are enjoying the tour and the stories. D and enjoy working on the house together.
      Have a lovely week and yes I do hope there is a little more sunshine for all of us. Take care .

      Delete
  5. The detail is fantastical!! I love this and the tale...
    Well done!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Both D and I are enjoying this long term project :-)

      Delete
  6. I appreciate the fact that items have been passed down to you. The stories you have created for the characters bring them to life. I'm sure you and your daughter have a lot of fun working on the doll's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to create a house with a story and being able to use some items that have been passed down makes it so much more personal. D and I are good at planning and inspiring each other with this huge project.

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful. I really enjoyed looking at your photos and reading about the Butler's story and how you made some of the objects:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is fun for D and I to share the doll house with everyone, as we slowly decorate the rooms and build the background story around them.

      Delete
  8. I have not been blog (reading) since I was away...and feel about behind. As if, I have missed something - but so glad to get in on this house tour!! I am speechless. What fun and what amazing talent!! I just all the details...especially the essential tea cup on the desk. Thank you for sharing. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. D and I are really pleased that you are enjoying the tour. There will be lots more rooms to see as we move around the house on this tour. We are hoping to have stories for each space whether there are people in them or not. Everybody needs a tea cup on their desk don't they :-)
      Hope your week is going well too.

      Delete
  9. I love the little stories in your Mayfild House. You made the butler a wonderful outfit and the little details are fantastic. That's why it's a pleasure to study each picture. Thank you very much.
    A cheerful greeting goes to you three.
    Last night the fireflies danced in my garden... it was so beautiful. Hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the stories, Viola. It's the little details that make this project very special for D and myself. Hopefully there is something of interest wherever you look in all of the rooms. Enjoy the rest of your week x

      Delete