Sunday, August 9, 2026

Chocolate and Cruising

Hello everyone. 


As it has been a little cooler at times this week, hubby and I have been baking again. This week we made Easy Chocolate Squares. It was a lovely recipe that just required some melting, mixing and some time solidifying in the fridge.


Here is the recipe, which I changed to the ingredients I had in my store cupboard.


Easy Chocolate Squares


Ingredients

225g/8oz plain dark chocolate

75g/3oz butter

2 tbsp golden syrup

75g/3oz shortbread type biscuit ( I increased the amount of biscuit and kept the pieces chunky rather than having too small crumbs)

100g/4oz raisins or sultanas. (I also added some glazed cherries)


Method

1. Grease a swiss roll tin or line with baking paper.

2. Put the biscuits in a strong food bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin.

3. Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a small heat-proof bowl. Add the syrup and butter. I melted these ingredients in the microwave in short bursts, but if you prefer, you can do this over a saucepan of hot water.

4. Stir the biscuits, dried fruit (cherries) into the mixture and spread over the swiss roll tin. Chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight. Cut into pieces and enjoy.




And now, over to D with an update on her holiday adventures.

Hello all, D here.

I had a lovely time on holiday around the Greek Islands - plenty of rest and relaxation amongst a few excursions I went on. I thought I would share some of the photos I took during the tours.


The Acropolis at Athens - that's the Parthenon. 

The site of the First Modern Olympic Games


The famous Hourly Changing of the Guard outside the Greek Parliament


Santorini


Bodrum Castle, Bodrum (Turkey)


The Palace of Knossos, Crete

This is the great palace of the Minoan civilisation, which existed between 3000 and 1100 BCE; they are considered to be the first civilisation in Europe. However, you might be more familiar with Knossos from the myth about Theseus and the Minotaur - this palace is where the labyrinth was supposed to have been. Although sadly, there are no signs of a labyrinth anymore.




Aphrodite's Rock, Cyprus. 

According to Greek Mythology, this is where Aphrodite - the Greek Goddess of Love  - rose from the sea.



Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sunion.

This temple looks out over the Aegean Sea, and it is a very stunning place to visit. However, when I visited, it was very windy - I had to shove my hat in my bag, for fear it would try and fly home without the benefit of an aeroplane. Still, I managed to get some really lovely shots of the temple.




The Habour at Rhodes.


Have a great week.

B and D 

No comments:

Post a Comment