Saturday, August 29, 2026

Saving a Family Kilt

Hello everyone.


I hope you have had a good week. 


The rain here has been wonderful, but it has kept me inside for a while, and I decided to go in search of a crafting project. I have a lot of these activities awaiting my attention; some are partially started, while others are still just ideas. The one I have been working on this week is a family project. 


My husband and his family on his father's side have some Scottish ancestry, and this project was intended to showcase some special items.


When hubby and his siblings were youngsters, they often went along to Scottish dance evenings with their parents. They learnt many of the dances, and hubby's brother and sister also took part in competitions. Hubby's kilt was made using the tartan with our family name. This particular tartan is Ancient Wilson, with orange and green colours woven into the fabric.

Hubby kept his kilt from those early years but has not worn it since then. It has been in the loft, and unfortunately it now has some moth damage as well as wear and tear. I was reluctant to get rid of it and instead wanted to transform it into something we could display on our living room wall.


It was quite scary cutting into the kilt fabric, but it needed to be done for the greater good. I had a suitable frame and some backing fabric and set to work. It was at this point that I realised the intricacies of how a kilt is made and the huge amount of fabric involved. Eventually I managed to fit everything together, including a section of the pleats. 


Once this was firmly attached, it was time to add the other items.


The largest item was the leather sporran, which was wired through the fabric to keep in place. A sporran is worn at the centre of the kilt, around the waist. It acts like a money purse for personal items because traditional kilts don't have pockets. This one is really for daytime wear, as it is made of leather, but there are many beautiful and far more intricate versions for more formal occasions. Sporran means purse in Gaelic.

The ornamental knife is called a Sgian Dubhs (pronounced skee-an-doo) and is tucked into the right or left sock depending on the dominant-hand side, with only the upper part of the hilt showing.

Finally, the buckle is from hubby's leather belt that he also wore. He gave it a good clean with some metal polish before adding it to the display board.


And here is the final photo showing all the pieces together. Now it can be properly displayed, and our family can still enjoy those memories of Scottish country dancing together.


Have a fantastic week, everyone, and who knows, I may start another project this week. 😊



26 comments:

  1. What a super project for rainy days. The tartan has lovely colours and together with the other items it has made a wonderful keepsake full of memories. I wonder what your next project will be? Have a good week ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosie. It was a project I have wanted to complete for a while and both hubby and I are really pleased with the result. I'm working on a quick project this week but again one that has been hanging around for a while. Hopefully I can show you next week. Have a good start to the new month.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect project for such a wonderful item and memories,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene. I'm glad that I was able to incorporate all the items together to make this special display.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks amazing, very clever of you, what did your husband think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. My hubby loved the finished project.

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing. You've done a great job. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well done ... such a lovely idea, and it looks great.
    Good wishes for the new month of September, it's almost here!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the project,Jan.
      Happy September to you too.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to display the kilt and accessories. It's a shame when treasured items age and/or are damaged but this just shows that all is not lost and that they can still be preserved as a fabulous keepsake. You've made a great job of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I think hubby was in his late teens when he last wore the kilt but I am so pleased that it has finally found a proper place in our home. I knew that if I didn't make haste to do something with it, that it would be beyond use and that would have been a real shame.

      Delete
  7. That’s an imaginative way to keep a precious memory alive! Do you have more of the fabric left? You could turn smaller remnants into make-up pouches, or for the men in your life, a pouch for their shaving stuff. We don’t have a kilt in our life, although there is a family tartan through Richard’s mum’s family, who was Scottish and my kids had to wear kilts when travelling abroad with Scouts (we got cheap copies for that purpose!). Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have more of the fabric left and have a few ideas to use them up. I'll let you know what I come up with and thank you for your ideas, Christina. Hope your week is going well too.

      Delete
  8. That looks amazing, Beverley, you should be very proud of it. I have Scottish ancestry too. My paternal Grandfather was Scottish but, unfortunately, I dont have any Watson tartan. I've often thought about buying a wrap or something for myself but have not got around to doing it. Your framed display is wonderful 😍
    Happy September !
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment, Angie. It took me a while to get started on the project as it felt a bit daunting cutting into the tartan fabric and then findng a way to attach the accessories. It was a challenge but I am very pleased with the result. Happy September days to you too. 😊

      Delete
  9. That's a lovely way to display such a special collection. Tony and I are members of a local Scottish country dance club. It's great fun and we're really looking forward to it starting up again after the summer break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Cherie. Blogger was being a pain yesterday and wouldn't post my reply. Thank you for your kind words about my kilt project. I know it will bring back good memories for all the family. Enjoy your country dance club when it starts up again.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Wow, and WOW!!! It's a fabulous piece of family history. You did a wonderful job with the shadow box idea. Now you can all enjoy it. I have a family afghan in need of repair, but I've been afraid to attempt it. It's old, my great grandmother made it, and I'm afraid it will fall apart perhaps if I try to do something with it, but you've inspired me to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Sandy. The first cut was very scary but once I got started I was fine. I hope you are able to do something with your great grandmother's afghan. so that it can be enjoyed by your family for many years to come.

      Delete
  11. It is wonderful. I am thrilled.
    It is so good that you rescued the kilt and brought it back into your memories.
    Preserving memories and culture is a beautiful and important thing. That special spot will bring you all joy.
    Sending you all my love and a hug.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viola. It was a special project to work on and I am very happy with the resuly. Now everyone can enjoy seeing the kilt and sharing the memories. Have a lovely week ahead.

      Delete