Sunday, October 1, 2023

A Mediterranean Adventure

Hello, and welcome back to our small corner.

D here, and this week, I will tell you about the Mediterranean cruise I went on during the Summer. Although I have been on several cruises alone, this was the first time a friend came with me. It was her first-ever cruise, and it was exciting to show her what it was like.

After an extremely early morning flight, we arrived in Palma de Majorca and breathed a sigh of relief when we spotted our bags coming off the luggage carousel. Not long after, we arrived on the ship and enjoyed our first lunch and drink. We explored and found some lovely places to chill out and relax during our holiday.

Our first port on the cruise was Barcelona. I usually book excursions through the cruise line, but my friend and I opted to do something independently this time. There was a city bus tour that started right outside the port, which meant we could see the city at a relaxed pace, and we took lots of photos.







We even saw a stubborn little dog who refused to move from the middle of the road, no matter how many car horns honked at him. The dog and his owner were both fine, so don’t worry. I can’t help imagining the owner being a bit exasperated with his dog, who probably didn’t care what the fuss was about because the little dog was king of the road.

It was rather appropriate that we found this fellow waiting for us when we returned to our cabin.



Our next port was Corsica, but as we were due to arrive about midday, my friend and I had a spa treatment. I had a hand manicure and massage, and it was lovely and, oh, so relaxing. I would happily do that again!

After lunch, we went on an excursion to Vizzavona in the mountains: the views of the mountains and valleys were spectacular!






We also stopped at a little restaurant in the mountains, where we tried wine and local delicacies before returning to the cruise ship.


During our trip to Naples, my friend and I visited the ancient city of Pompeii. Although I have been to Pompeii several times, this was my friend’s first visit, and she was excited.

Pompeii is a window into how the ancient Romans lived, and it was just as impressive as the first time I went. Walking past a Roman fast-food shop reminded me that Romans' daily lives were not so far removed from our own as we like to imagine.

Mount Vesuvius




 


The weather was scorching and sunny in Pompeii, so we indulged in our first holiday ice cream while we waited for the coach.

My friend and I both had a fantastic time on this cruise. We spent much time between our excursions and city tours relaxing by the indoor pool and chilling out, sitting in the bars while we had drinks. Oh, and having afternoon tea. I can’t forget that! 😄

Although we were sad when our cruise ended at the end of the week, we had a fantastic time full of fun, laughter, and beautiful memories. My friend loved her first cruise, and I have happily converted her to cruise holidays. Truthfully, it only took me about a day and a half to finish convincing her!

We have already booked another cruise holiday for next summer, and I can’t wait!!

Whatever your plans are for this week, I hope you enjoy them.

D x

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful photo's. I've been to Pompeii and really enjoyed it. Might go back someday, as they keep excavating and finding and learning more. How nice you were able to show your friend the ropes, and now you have a traveling companion! LOVED Barcelona also. So much to see, and people are fun and friendly. What cruise line did you use? And where are you off to the next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. I sail with Marella Cruises (used to be Tui) and I can't fault them at all. I like them because they include everything I need, including the flight out to our starting destination. The ships are medium-sized but just perfect for me. My friend and I are going to Greece and Turkey next summer. We are very much looking forward to it! Have a good week!
      D x

      Delete
  2. Oh, the cruise sounded perfect! Glad you shared it with a "newbie"! Always fun to see their reactions!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. It really was a wonderful time and I'm glad I got to share the experience with a friend.
      D x

      Delete
  3. I have not taken a cruise, but yours sounded wonderful, so interesting to see so many different ways of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cruising is a wonderful way to see a snapshot of different places I might not otherwise get to see.
      D x

      Delete
  4. It all sounds absolutely wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Cruising is definitely my favourite type of holiday.
      D x

      Delete
  5. Barcelona is on our list to visit, we have friends in Valencia, so hope to team up with them, you had lots of fun, must have been lovely to watch your friend enjoy the trip as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to visit Barcelona soon as it is lovely place to visit. My friend really enjoyed her first cruise.
      D x

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos! I would have enjoyed all the excursions but as a land lubber would never want to go on a cruise! I get 'sea sick' on a stationary boat on the Thames!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simone. My friend was a little concerned as she has suffered from sea sickness in the past but she used pressure bands which helped and she was fine.
      D x

      Delete
  7. Sounds like the perfect combination of places. Some lovely photos too. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd be very seasick. I can't even walk across a pier without feeling sick but it sounds like a fantastic holiday. You've seen and done some lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, it was a wonderful holiday for both me and my friend.

      D x

      Delete
  9. Your cruise with a friend must have been enjoyable. Thank you for your comment left on my blog. I'm still having technical difficulties with downloading photos to my computer but wanted to drop by and say "hello".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D had a great time and took lots of photos. I'm sorry that you are still having technical difficulties . Thank you for still dropping by here.
      B and D x

      Delete