Hello to you all. I hope you have had a lovely week.
In this small corner, there has been the odd respite from the heat, but only for a short time. I am very glad we bought the parasol when we did because sitting under the shade it gives has been wonderful.
We have still managed to have some meals outside, especially first thing or for our evening meal. This week we had our new table arrive, which will mean that we can eat outside even more. We only bought two chairs as it was a mix and match with the furniture. We loved the table, which is a perfect size for us, but not the seating, which was benches. I need a chair with a back. The chairs we liked had backs and arms, but we weren't sure how they would fit under the table. Now we know it works; we can buy the rest of the chairs.
Back now to a very sunny Derbyshire, to share the rest of our few days away with you.
I have wanted to visit Bolsover Castle for some time, and our short break presented the ideal opportunity. The Peverel family built the original castle, but during the Medieval period it fell into disrepair. Over several years, the property exchanged hands until the ruins were sold to Sir Charles Cavendish, who wanted to build a new castle. It was not built for defensive purposes but for elegance and high society living. One of his sons, William, was a fine horseman and horse breeder. He was also an expert in manège, a form of dressage. The tower that was built as part of renovations became known as 'The Little Castle'. My favourite room in the tower was the Star Chamber, which has tiny lead stars on the blue ceiling. Charles I and Henrietta Maria visited Bolsover in 1634 to be entertained.
Our tour guide was excellent, and he explained lots of the details. The only downside was that it lasted for over an hour and a half!!
While we were in the area, we also visited Buxton and Matlock to see their well dressing displays. I have seen some wonderful examples of these on some other friends' blogs, so it was great to see some for ourselves.
Well dressing is an old English tradition in Derbyshire and the Peak District, where local communities decorate wells and springs with beautiful hand-crafted pieces of art made from petals, leaves, seed heads and other natural materials. The designs are set in large boards of soft clay. Tradition suggests that it is a way of giving thanks for the fresh water supply from surrounding springs.
Arkwright chose Cromford for his mill because of the year round water supply needed to power his machinery. He aso built housing and developed the village for his employees to support maximum production.
After spending time looking at some of the restored buildings and machinery, we took a brief walk to St Mary's church where Richard and other members of the family are buried.
The garden was looking very sad and droopy when we got home, but it is looking much better now, at least in some places. I have been waiting and waiting for these lilies to flower, and now they are producing flowers every day. The variety is called 'Stargazer ', and it is just that. I shall be buying other varieties to add to them for next year. I think they are stunning. Also, the first sunflowers are blooming, and the bees are loving them.
The weather will be hot again next week, but there may be a chance of a shower. However, even though it is uncomfortable to be outside here, I am thinking of all those who are particularly suffering with the heat and wildfires and all the dangers they bring. I pray that you will be safe.
Take care, everyone.















No comments:
Post a Comment