Sunday, September 6, 2026

Snowshill Manor- the Collection

Hello everyone, welcome to 'Back2OurSmallCorner' and thank you for taking the time to visit.

Last Monday was the final bank holiday in August for all of the UK except Scotland. The forecast had been for showers, but we decided to go out anyway and hopefully dodge any showers. We headed out to Snowshill Manor and gardens, which is in Gloucestershire. The property is now owned and maintained by the National Trust, which meant free entry for both hubby and myself.


The main building is typical of Cotswold properties, and although it dates back to the 16th century, its most famous owner was Charles Paget Wade, who owned it in the early and mid 20th century. Wade can only be described as an eccentric who liked to collect a vast amount of items that interested him. 


Wade restored the property as he was an architect himself, but he never lived in the manor. Instead, he lived in a small priest's cottage in the garden and used the manor to display his vast collection. However, Wade did not want it to be set up as a museum, and his eclectic style is evident in every room. His motto was " Let nothing perish". 


Here are just a few glimpses of Charles Wade's vast collection.


















While we were inside, the promised rain arrived, but very kindly stopped when we wandered around the gardens. These are laid out as a series of outside rooms and also include a dovecote, the model village (photos below), a kitchen garden, an orchard, and a small sheep field. 





Back home, I have been working on another project that has been collecting dust in my craft room. I bought the piece of slate about 5 or 6 years ago, intending to make it into a useful kitchen item. I really love the artwork on the narrowboats I have seen on the canals during our travels, and I wanted to include something similar in this project. I didn’t feel confident in my painting skills, so I decided to use some wonderful self-adhesive stickers instead. After applying the stickers, I added a spare white kitchen tile. We also varnished the slate, and now I have a brand new cheeseboard!



And so a new week begins. Whether you are due for sunshine or showers, take care, everyone, and have a great week.


B x

22 comments:

  1. The model village is delightful. I can't remember the last time I visited one, but I'm always amazed at the detail on those tiny buildings.
    I'm loving your cheeseboard. What a great idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting to find a model village at Snowshill but it was lovely and fitted with the whole ethos of Charles Wade and his collections.
      The cheeseboard was an easy project to complete. I don't know why it took me so long to do. Now I just need to buy a selection of cheeses and maybe a bottle of wine. 😊

      Delete
  2. What a magnificent place! I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through you lovely photos! So many fascinating and beautiful pieces!!! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just so much to see at Snowshill Manor - it was real treasure trove of jewels. Glad you enjoyed seeing a few photos.

      Delete
  3. What a collector he was! So many different articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly had a wide variety of items to look at in his collection and it is lovely that other people are able to enjoy them now.

      Delete
  4. I love your little cheeseboard. We bought a wine bottle that had been melted in a kiln and I like to use that sd a cheeseboard Christmas. After reading your post I do wonder what someone would think of all my 'treasures' in a hundred years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you so much , Cherie. Your wine bottle cheeseboard sounds very cool and something a bit different to use at Christmas.
      Who knows what will interest future generations. It would be nice to think a little historical memorabilia would at least intrigue them.

      Delete
  5. What an amazing collection Wade had and the model village looked so pretty. love your new cheese board very clever of you, but too pretty to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent a lovely few hours at Snowshill and the weather stayed mostly dry for us.
      It's nice to have ticked off another project, and yes I am going to use the cheeseboard. I have decided to put it up on the kitchen wall. That way I will see it every time I get cheese out which hopefully will remind me to use it.

      Delete
  6. It's Labor Day Monday, so a holiday in the USA today. Ill be home with pets. I loved seeing a few Natiobal Trust properties. The care of the gardens is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday Labor day to you Sam. Glad you like seeing National Trust photos both of the interiors and the gardens. We get to see them quite often and enjoy most of them. Having wonderful gardens is a wonderful added bonus. Enjoy the rest of your week.

      Delete
  7. That's a unique cheese board, I can imagine lots of lovely cheeses on it. Snowshill Manor is also rather unique too. So many things to see there, glad the weather stayed fine whilst you explored the garden and orchard. Have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love cheese in this family and it was a quick project to work on this week. I'm going to hang it up on the kitchen wall so that there is a chance of me using it.
      I had not been to Snowshill before. Wade was a great collector of all sorts of items that intrigued and interested him and it was fun to look at such a huge variety of curiosities. The gardens still had lots of colourful blooms and the weather was kind to us that day. Have a lovely week, Rosie.

      Delete
  8. You mention rain in your post and I must say it has been so welcome, the grass here has started to green-up and hopefully the reservoirs will start to fill up and get to better levels.

    Wishing you a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rain has been very welcome and everything is is looking so much fresher and renewed.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed looking through your photos, a great collection of things to browse through. Thanks so much! I wish you a wonderful September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting collection to spend some time looking around. Wishing you a very happy September, Denise.

      Delete
  10. Imagine having a house just to house your collections, what an eccentric character he must have been. It sounds such an interesting place with so much to see, and the gardens too, what a delightful model village. I like your idea of turning the slate into a cheeseboard, something which is useful as well as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting property to visit and I'm sure it is one of those places that you notice different things each time you visit. As it is a NT property we may visit again at some point.
      i need to buy some cheese to try out the new cheeseboard. I have hung it up in the kitchen as a reminder to add said item to the shopping list . 😊

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of Snowhill House, I looked and it's about an hour away so I shall put it on my list of places to visit, it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do get to visit Snowshill, I hope you find it as interesting as we did.

      Delete